Saturday, May 9, 2009

Intellectual Package Holidays Revisited

The cultures of the developed West are fraught with paradoxes. One of them concerns the disparities between the overall intellectual ethos in such cultures and the intellectual resources that are readily accessible. With regard to 'ethos', the dominant trend is towards dumbing down. There is no need go into the dismal details. But, at the same time, if an individual wants to upgrade their thinking, the volume (and quality) of resources available is astonishing.

Hence, there has probably never been a better time to take advantage of my free Intellectual Package Holidays offer.

From time to time. I will make suggestions about where to go for an intellectual holiday. For reasons of safety, I will only recommend places I have already visited and know well. This might sound a bit restrictive, but don't worry, I have done a lot of mind travelling. Furthermore, as you get the hang of things, you will be able to make up your own itinerary. Indeed, I would welcome your suggestions in the 'comments' section.

First-off, I recommend going to Ancient Greece. That might sound like an obvious suggestion, coming from a philosopher. But it's not. Why? I will tell you next time. How do you get there?
Also next time. However, if you want a preview, read The Last Days of Socrates.

No comments:

Post a Comment